Tartaglione Urges Persian Gulf Vets to Apply for One-Time Bonus
PHILADELPHIA, March 11, 2015 – Pennsylvania veterans who fought in the Persian Gulf Theater in the early 1990s could receive up to $525 a month for their service if they apply now for a special, one-time bonus, state Sen. Christine M. Tartaglione said today.
The payments, through the Department of Military & Veterans Affairs, are for veterans who were on active duty during Operations Desert Shield or Desert Storm between Aug. 2, 1990, and Aug. 31, 1991.
The deadline to apply is Aug. 31.
“Now is the time for our brave Pennsylvanians who went to the Middle East to take advantage of this time-limited offer,” Tartaglione said. “The bonus could make a difference with Gulf War veterans who need assistance, and I hope it helps everyone who deserves the money.”
The DMVA is also asking veterans who might have previously been denied the bonus to re-apply. New applications are required to reopen a claim.
Since the program’s start in 2008, some 11,000 Persian Gulf veterans have applied for the monthly stipend.
The bonus pays $75 per month for qualifying, active-duty service members, up to the $525/month maximum.
For personnel whose death was related to illness or injury suffered in the line-of-duty in Operations Desert Shield or Desert Storm, there is an additional $5,000 available to the surviving family. Service members who were declared POWs may also be eligible for an additional $5,000.
In each case, the service member must have:
- Served with the U.S. Armed Forces, a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces or the PA National Guard,
- Served on active duty in the Persian Gulf Theater of Operations during the period from Aug. 2, 1990, until Aug. 31, 1991, and received the Southwest Asia Service Medal,
- Been a legal resident of Pennsylvania at the time of active duty service,
- Been discharged from active duty under honorable conditions, if not currently on active duty. And,
- Received the Southwest Asia Service Medal.
For detailed instructions on how to apply, visit www.persiangulfbonus.state.pa.us.