Tartaglione Urging PAians to Create a Savings Plan During ‘America Saves Week’
PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 20, 2015 – Sen. Christine M. Tartaglione is urging her constituents to participate next week in “America Saves Week.”
“America Saves Week” is designed to increase awareness of the need for people to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth with a primary focus on financial action: setting goals, making a plan, and setting up automatic savings and investments.
“Only half of American households have a savings plan with specific goals, and only 40 percent have a budget that allows for sufficient savings,” Tartaglione said. “Stagnant wages and prolonged unemployment and underemployment have meant that many Philadelphians are struggling to save and protect their futures.”
A 2012 National Financial Capability Study showed that 53 percent of Pennsylvanians are not setting aside money to cover expenses in case of emergencies.
“Study after study shows us that more needs to be done to create a more financially literate community, and I am proud to join the PA Treasury’s efforts to help shine a light on the importance of saving,” Tartaglione said.
The senator is joining with Treasury and its partners to offer a series of webinars designed to help people build wealth and get out of debt.
Each webinar – presented by an experienced financial professional from the public or private sector – will provide guidance on common financial challenges such as how to budget and create a plan to save, manage debt, and save for higher education.
The webinar schedule is as follows:
- Monday, Feb. 23, at 12:00 p.m. – Saving for That Big Purchase, presented by Tami Noll Russo, CPA, CFP, and member of the Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs.
- Tuesday, Feb. 24, at 12:00 p.m. – Savings 101, presented by the Pennsylvania Credit Union Association.
- Wednesday, Feb. 25, at 6:00 p.m. – Saving for Higher Education, presented by the Pennsylvania 529 College Savings Program.
- Thursday, Feb. 26, at 12:00 p.m. – Show Me My Money: A Lesson on Saving and Spending, presented by Clarifi.
- Friday, Feb. 27, at 12:00 p.m. – Teach Children to Save, presented by the PA Bankers Association.
To register for the webinar series, see a complete schedule, or learn more about “America Saves Week,” visit PA529.com.